Monday, September 15, 2008

E-A-G-L-E-S!!

This is just the beginning for my poor little Ethan and his grooming to be a sports obsessed junkie just like his father.

Oh I could go on and on about football season, give me a soapbox and I could just go to town. Football season to my husband is more anticipated than any holiday, by far. And if the Eagles are playing, forget about it. It is as if the world has completely stopped spinning on its axis for the news paper articles and website write ups on the upcoming game, the pregame show, 4 long quarters, a half time report, the post game show, and then consequently the following morning's coverage of the game.

I am the Eagles worst nightmare. For at the beginning of the season I do a little chant in my room for the worst season ever. No really, I do. I know, I am terrible. Some might think I am just the worst for not supporting my husband and his deep interest in this team and its franchise. But I have to some extent, half of our finished basement is centered around the Eagles, so that way when they stop by for a post game wrap up, they feel more at home. But let me explain my devious anti-football ways. If they have a really bad team, the loss is expected, Andy knows that this season isn't going to be it for the Eagles, and the hype is just a little less, the fall is not so high. For if there is a good team, the loss is greater. I am talking bad mood for about 3 days after the game if they lose.

It is as if he is part of the team, as if Andy Reid calls him and asks his opinion on the next play. Now if they win he acts like he is a kid who has just won the game of his life in wee-wee football or whatever you call it. He acts as though he knew it all along, his team is the best ever, you would expect that the team members were going to call him up and thank him for his support, bc after all it is his complete dedication to the game that had them win. And no lie, he will talk to all of his friends for hours on end after the game, the next day, so on and so forth and dissect the game like it was some great science that led the Eagles to victory. So in my case, the boasting is as bad as the sulking.

But, you know what...if the Eagles go far into the season and they are in the playoffs, suddenly I am interested. I know I am a hypocrite, the last thing the Eagles need. They want the faithful fan who is going to tailgate all day long in a parking lot with a bunch of morons screaming their heads off. But I am wired like that. I hop on the bandwagon as it is flying by, enjoying myself doing other things until the last minute.

And I do watch some of the game each week, I need to prepare myself for the sulking or the crazy happiness that is my husband's mood.

So tonight they play Dallas, and of course my husband hates the Cowboys just like every other dedicated Eagles fan. He especially hates T.O. which I just find hysterical bc when T.O. was on the Eagles it was as if God had given the Eagles the key to victory, he could do no wrong. But T.O., did wrong by the team, and consequently Andy, so we aren't allowed to like him, he is the worst player...ever. So this is a big night for our house, or 60 inch HD T.V. that Andy just had to have to feel like he is there right next to the boys on the sideline. And so I dressed the children in their Eagles attire. I am sure Andy will be jumping in his upon his arrival home, I am sure he is talking about the game right now with his buddies on the train. I am sure on my Target run tonight I will be asked to pick up football snacks. The kids were cheering as I put on the Eagles wear, and I asked them to act like football players...





As you can see, Kendall is going to take the same point of view as me.



No comments: