Friday, October 3, 2008

On the Way to Cape May...

So this is what we will be doing this weekend. It is my cousin Ashley's wedding and my sisters and I are bridesmaids...


This is what I will be wearing on my hand...


It is my Mom Mom Lyons' ring. She gave me this ring before she fell ill. The pearl was something my Pop Pop bought/found on one of their many vacations, and gave it to her in a box at dinner one night. Upon their return, he told her to pick a setting to have it placed in. She said she picked a box shape because I think she thought it looked different but also to remember how it was given to her, in a box. I remember always going through her jewelry box, she had so much jewelry and loved to wear it. I picked up the ring and she said, 'oh everyone thinks that ring is just so ugly, but I like it.' I said that I liked it too, and she said to me, 'well you can have it, just take care of it.' And so I have.
I think of my grandparents often, but most especially on days like tomorrow. This is the only thing I have of hers, besides wedding pictures my Pop Pop gave me, and I like to wear it on special occasions like this. It's like a piece of her is there. She was full of laughter and loud like me and many who knew her at my age say that I resemble her. I wish she could be with us tomorrow to be with our entire family and its continual growth. I also wish that Pop Pop could be there, the last wedding he attended before passing away, was mine, I am thankful for him being there, but wish he could be at all the others. I know that their memory will be there, and I know that they will be thought of often tomorrow, and I am thankful for this pearl in a box that will be there with me.

No comments: