Thursday, June 25, 2009

Perfectly Gluttonous Pound Cake

So since I am usually baking or cooking something a bunch of times a week, I thought I might not leave them all some deep dark family secrets and share them with you. There are a couple of other blogs I read that offer some recipes, and on occasion I use them, or copy them for future use. I am all about sharing ideas, most especially when it comes to baking or cooking.

This is my great grandmother's Pound Cake Recipe. Now brace yourself, when you read the ingredients your hips just might grow 2 sizes instantly. So, just quickly take a glance, and then pretend you didn’t read them all at one, try and trick the hips, it’s for the best, this cake is that good.

I made this last week to take to a friend’s house for dessert. Wasn’t it good Becky? I am sure she would agree, I gave her what was left, but I think her hubby might have gotten to them first. Lord knows I did not need the leftovers, so I was happy to leave them some tasty treats.

Now you can serve this plain, or serve it with some fruit, or some ice cream, or all of that, with some whipped cream on the top. We had it last week with some sliced strawberries that we picked the day before and some whipped cream, sort of like a strawberry shortcake, but you know, with this pound cake.

My grandmother says that this cake is best if you bake it a day before you are going to eat it or serve it. Right, like I am going to be ok with any sort of dessert just sitting on my counter and not be able to eat it. So, if you have more self control then me, go ahead and make this a day ahead. I made it and ate it on the same day, and it was good, it’s butter and sugar for pete’s sake, it has got to be good no matter when or how you eat it.

Preheat Oven: 350

Ingredients:
2 sticks of butter (soft)
½ c. of Crisco
3 c. sugar
6 eggs (that’s right, 6 eggs)
3 c. flour
1 c. milk
3 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt

Dump all of the ingredients together in your mixing bowl. Beat them for one minute on low and then 5 minutes on high. This, my friends, is where the Kitchen Aid Mixer would be ever so useful. Do you see how long you are to beat this for Trista? 6 minutes. You still want to tell me that your hand mixer is easier? I don’t think so. A lot could happen in 6 minutes, most especially with 4 kids. I will go ahead and answer for you since I only have two kids, and had to use my hand mixer, no, no way, it is not easier.
Ok, so you bake this in obviously a greased pan, use an angel food cake pan, or I used a bundt pan for 1 hour and 15 minutes, again at 350 degrees.

** A Sag Addendum: Place your oven rack into the center of the oven and place the cake pan on that rack.(you know I love you D ;) )

Now you can either leave it plain like that, or you can sprinkle some powdered sugar on it, or you can make a mix of powdered sugar and milk and drizzle on top. (which is what I did), or you can make this icing that my great grandmother used and have your hips grow one more size. It’s good.

Icing:
2 c. Powdered Sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
4 tbsp. Milk
¾ c. shortening

Beat on high until nice and smooth and beautifully mixed together.

This is obviously a good summer dessert since you can serve it with some fresh berries, or something of the sort.

Eat it up.

1 comment:

Meggan said...

pound cake is one of my favorite foods. If I could eat sugar or flour, I'd make it right now...